Monday 21 March 2011

Modern Man Part One - The Dandy

You know those ads for Mail Order catalogues you see in the back of old vintage magazines and you always think "I wish I could get one and order the clothes from it now!" well, you still can't order any of the clothes but I do have in my collection a couple of very cool items which I thought I would love to share on here. Below are a selection of pages I have scanned from the Modern Man Catalogues who (probably jumping on the bandwagon) had their offices based in that most swingingest of London places, Carnaby Street. I have two copies, the first I would date to either very late 1966 or early 1967 due to the Kinks-like regency dandy style of some of the items and by the trouser cuts. I hope you enjoy! Stayed tuned for Part 2 - The Psychedelic Hippie, coming tomorrow. Also if you go to the bottom of this post you'll find a link to my Flickr where you will find the rest of the pages.

Modern Man Dandy Cover

Modern Man Dandy 3
Yes, those are ivory fur swimming trunks. Hot! In more ways than one I suspect!


Modern Man Dandy 2

Love the spoon collars here.


Modern Man Dandy 7

Awesome Huntsman style jacket - these type of things never come up for sale nowadays.


Modern Man Dandy 9

More lovely tailoring, a fabulous cape and note that the Du Barry frock coat is available in green, scarlet, purple or navy - yum!


Modern Man Flyer

You know the man in your life needs a tiger print beach skirt.

To see more from this set check out my Flickr Set HERE!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I love that skirt! Amazing illustrations....

barefoot_and_frolicking said...

gotta love the Dandy! Than you for sharing these great scans. I wish there was one for the Modern Dolly ;) The Modern Man - Carnaby Street catalog was part of the Carnaby Street 1950-2010 exhibition I attended on Carnaby Street last May!

Vix said...

Totally splendid! So Mr Beckham wasn't the first to don a little skirt? xxx

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

The tiger print skirt is hilarious! I wonder if they sold many? xx

Emily Daley said...

Mr wrap-around??? OMG!! he, he, great stuff! e xxxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails